Sunday, December 30, 2012

HANDMADE. HOMEMADE. 2013.


Aaron and I have been talking a lot about what we want our life to be like, what we want to do with our time, where we want to live, the kind of family we want to be, etc. We are all getting to that age where we decide the kind of life we really want to have. We have the ability now to make choices and changes for ourselves and for the world. 

We want to eat well, buy handmade, make homemade, and support America

We aren't really into resolutions, but we have decided (coincidentally it's new years resolution time) that we want to make a conscious effort to change the way we eat. Now that Rorie is getting the chance to try her first foods we are understanding how important it is to eat clean, healthy, organic food. It's an expensive challenge in this city-we are finding. Jewel and Dominick's have a very limited amount of organic produce. Most of it is going bad on the shelf I've found. That takes the fun out of shopping. I love going to Trader Joe's, but it's quite a hike to get there. Whole Foods is just down the road from us, but I'm a little overwhelmed by the prices. Maybe when I have a bit more time I can better navigate the store and find success there. For now, it's been mostly Dominick's. After just getting home from the grocery story I can tell you- it's possible at Dominick's. We created a budget for food and I have managed to come in $20 under budget for this week- which makes me grin from ear to ear. Not to mention I managed to buy all organic produce. Yay! I have successfully made Rorie organic squash puree and plan on making more foods for her soon (she loves squash! and it tastes good to me too!!!). I'll be writing more about her food a little later. 

I think it's very important to support people. As an artist of sorts, I understand the hard work that goes into making something with your hands. That's why I have tried to buy Rorie toys and stuffed friends that are handmade. Specifically, handmade in America. I've loved shopping on Etsy. It's addicting because our fellow Americans can make some pretty awesome stuff. Way more awesome than a machine can. And no plastic. Which mama likes a lot. Rorie has collected handmade rattles, wooden teethers, stuffed animals, and handmade dolls. And I love everyone of her things- so does she :)  She plays on quilts made from women at Aaron's church in Ellsworth. She sleeps on hand sewn sheets. It feels good to support people in this way. To make conscious shopping decisions and to make her things with my own hands. Of course, sometimes it's easier to go to Target and pick up something- which we do. Or a gift comes from a big box store, or overseas, or is made of plastic. And it's not a bad thing- it is what it is. 

But we do make an effort to support other people, make our own, and buy American when we can. 

I challenge you to do the same this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment