Saturday, April 21, 2012

Homemade All-Purpose Cleaner

I don't know if you know this about me... but I like homemade things. When I finally got my own apartment I researched a lot about saving money. One of the things suggested by many people was to make your own cleaning supplies. It was an easy switch financially. I use the used bottles of cleaning supplies I bought when I first moved in and continually use them with my own solution:

1 tbs baking soda
2 tbs Dr. Bronner's liquid soap (I use an orange scented one, you can also use dish soap)
Water (fill up the bottle after adding the first two ingredients)

It's so easy. And so cheap. I buy the baking soda for less than a dollar and a large container of Dr. Bronner's cost me about $9. So far I've made 4 batches of all-purpose cleaner and haven't made a dent in my ingredients stash. It's a wonderful feeling.

It's also great to know that I know exactly what is in the spray I'm using to clean. One time I was spraying the kitchen counter and didn't remove my cup of tea. A little of the mist was sure to have gotten into my cup. But I didn't have to throw it out. There were no chemicals or anything that isn't safe to digest in my concoction. Who knows exactly what is in the stuff you buy at the store! Even the 'green' sprays don't list the ingredients on the bottle (at least not the ones I've bought). And that's a little scary to think about.

It feels good to know I've got a nice, easy, and cost effective system for cleaning. And I know that little Rorie will be safe from who knows what when it comes to cleaning supplies. She'll probably just eat dirt and the cat hair tumbleweeds from the floor- no biggie (:

No comments:

Post a Comment