Saturday, May 28, 2011

3D Design Work

This year I've taken many art classes. One art class I took was Three Dimensional Design. I wasn't a huge fan of this class and I didn't make anything I think is really that interesting- except one. So I thought I would share it.

The assignment was actually the first one of the class. It's intent was to get us to use a limited amount of materials and to learn how to use 'fasteners' (I used packing tape) to hold our designs together. So I chose very simple materials- wire, cardboard, white tissue paper, and tape. We had to do 10 little sculptures which showed a movement of some sort.


While I was trying to figure out what to do I was thinking about Thailand- something I do a lot of these days because I miss it so much. One of the Thai holidays is called Loi Krathong. During this holiday it is a tradition to light lanterns and cast all your sins into the lantern to be taken away as it floats away. It's a beautiful thing to see hundreds of lanterns floating in the night sky.


So, I was thinking about this as I was making the project. The movement a lantern goes through as it is lit by a person, as it is floating through the sky, and as it lands on the ground after the light goes out. And I am very happy how it turned out.



Click on the image to see it at full size.

No comments:

Post a Comment